In This Section
This building was erected in 1898 for the Alma Mechanics’ Institute which was the forerunner of Technical Colleges and Adult Learning. It was a very important community centre for residents of South Broken Hill.
The Alma Mechanics Institute building was restored between 1987-1990 from a near-ruinous condition. The building was saved by one councillor’s vote and became one of the first restoration projects undertaken by the Broken Hill City Council and is now known as the South Community Centre.
Audio transcript available.