76. South Broken Hill Hotel - 1889

Former Baylyn Hotel.png


Originally an iron and timber building, the hotel was rebuilt in stone and brick. Laban Wake was the licencee of this hotel in 1889. By 1894 the hotel was known as Hegarty’s, after the Irish proprietor Richard Hegarty who came to Broken Hill as a miner and became a hotelier. The licence was transferred to his wife after his death in 1908. In 1944 the unthinkable happened-the hotel ran out of beer! The hotel was also known for a short time as the Baylyn Hotel. The current owners have reverted to the original name of South Broken Hill Hotel.

Audio transcript available.