108. St Marys Catholic Church - 1922

St Marys Catholic School.png

The original church and school on this site was a wood and iron building, known as Dryan’s Hall, transferred from Silverton and erected  on this site in 1896. This was the fourth Catholic School opened within ten years.  

The foundation stone of the present stone church was laid in 1922 bv Rev. Daniel Mannix, Archbishop of Melbourne. The building was designed in Gothic revival style by Australian architect John Horbury Hunt. It was dedicated in 1924 and opened by Bishop Hayden the same year.  

The Catholic Parish of St. Mary’s closed in 1975 and joined the parish of Sacred Heart Cathedral. 

The property was sold in 1993.   

Audio transcript available.