90. Former All Saints Catholic Church - 1890

Former All Saints Catholic Church.png

The population of South area in 1887 was 1500, 600 of whom were Catholic. It was apparent to Bishop Dunne that a Catholic Church was required in the South area.  

The foundation stone for this church was laid in 1890 by the Right Reverend John Dunne who had been appointed Bishop of the Wilcannia Diocese in 1887. The foundation stone was donated by Broken Hill Proprietary Company.  

All Saints Catholic Church, designed and built in the Gothic Revival style, opened on this site in 1891. The original stone is now rendered and, over the years, other renovations have taken place. In 1910 a sacristy, Lady Chapel and sanctuary were added. In the 1950s the nave was expanded, and a choir loft and additional seating was added, to reflect the growing Catholic community in the area. 

The Church is now residential.  

Audio transcript available.