92. Zinc Lakes - 1948

Zinc Lakes.png

This shallow artificial lake was constructed by Zinc Corporation after World War II as a water reserve for the Corporation’s concentration plant and as a community recreation area.  

The recreation area was opened to the public in 1948 and originally named Twin Lakes.  

The Albert Morris Memorial Gates nearby were relocated in 1991 to form the entrance to one of Morris’ first successful plantations of red gum.  

Morris (1886-1939), founder of the Broken Hill Field Naturalists Club, was responsible for the City’s regeneration scheme (see Trail No 32).  

The art deco style gates were first erected in 1940 near the Zinc Mine complex.   

Audio transcript available.