52. Scout Hall - 1900

Scout Hall.png

This building was built in 1900 as a hall for the Barrier Boys Brigade, formed in 1898. Captain John Warren of Block 10 Mine was its president. The foundation stone for the building was laid by G D Delprat, General Manager of BHP.  

The Barrier Boys Brigade was part of a national organisation that aimed to provide a Christian-based youth program for boys.  

In 1930 the hall was taken over by the Boy Scouts, the year Scouting was established in Broken Hill. The first group was known as 1st Broken Hill Troupe. Boys who wanted to join the troupe had to demonstrate their willingness to abide by the Scout’s Law. In return then went hiking, camping and canoeing. 

The Hall is now the headquarters of Broken Hill Sea Scouts.   

Audio transcript available.