115. Railway Residences 1890

Railway Residences.png

This row of four houses was erected about 1890 by the Silverton Tramway Company Ltd [STC] as staff residences. House No.1 (northernmost) was occupied by the General Manager of the STC. Westside Plaza and other businesses now occupy the area to the back of this avenue of houses which was the Company’s railway goods sheds and workshops. The Company ceased operations in 1970 when nationalization of the railway gauge was completed. 

The first General Manager was Charles Eley who led the Company from 1887-1925 and was the longest serving General Manager of the Company. 

Audio transcript available.