65. Junction Hotel - 1892

Junction Hotel.png

The Junction hotel was named after the nearby Junction Mine (see Trail Number 68). It is a stone and brick hotel built by the Tipperary Propriety Company and opened in 1891. 

James Hurtle Cummins was the first licensee at the Junction. He was a hotelier and businessman who had several hotel and mining interests. Under his stewardship, the hotel became a popular venue for dining and for local events. Cummins moved to the West Australian goldfields where he continued his entrepreneurial career and in 1905 became Mayor of Kalgoorlie.  

Audio transcript available.