50. Miners Lamp Motel - 1888

Miners Lamp Hotel.png

Originally the Southern Cross Hotel, the first licensee was James Nicolas. The Southern Cross was a stage coach terminus, like many other Broken Hill hotels. The historic Cobb & Co. stage coach company passed through Broken Hill, carrying passengers and mail to many regional and remote areas of the Australia. 

The verandah was reconstructed in 1999 as part of the Broken Hill City Council’s Verandah Reconstruction Program. 

Audio transcript available.