20. Duke of Cornwall Park

Duke of Cornwall Park.png

This reserve was named after the nearby Duke of Cornwall Hotel. The title is given to the first-born son of British monarchs (the current King Charles was the former Duke of Cornwall), which reflects Broken Hill’s rich Cornish heritage. Many of the miners who came to Broken Hill in the second half of the nineteenth century were Cornish; they were amongst the tens of thousands of miners who left their homelands for Australia and North America. 

The Broken Hill City Council began developing the reserve as a recreation park in 1915. This development was later taken over by the Zinc Corporation Ltd. The early photo shows the view from nearby Billygoat Hill: the park is on the left.

Audio transcript available.