In This Section
Burke Ward, also known as Railwaytown, was the last ward in Broken Hill to have its own public school, relocated here in 1897. The first school was Central, opened in 1886, then South and North Broken Hill schools, both opened in 1889.
The school was established in 1895 but operated out of temporary buildings. The original building on this site was erected by Isaac Sumsion in 1897. An additional wing was added in 1899, and an infant’s school was added in about 1910.
Audio transcript available.