In This Section
This single storey masonry building was established in 1899 as the Freiberg Arms Hotel in 1899 by German immigrant Charles Freiberg.
The first licensee of the Freiberg was Englishman James Pilcher, thought to have come to Broken Hill for the mining industry in 1883.
The hotel was renamed the West End Hotel in 1918 because of the anti-German sentiment of the war period. It was delicensed in 1924, along with several other hotels in Broken Hill, and closed by the License Reduction Board, who were tasked with reducing the number of publican's licenses in New South Wales.
The building has since been restored and repurposed, and the verandah has been reconstructed.
Audio transcript available.