In This Section
This large stone public hall was built for the growing Railwaytown community in 1905. The foundation stone was laid by Mayor J. Ivey in 1904.
The hall was initially used for a variety of events, including political gatherings, community meetings and worship services. Over the years it has been used for concerts, theatre productions and other events.
During WWII the Hall was used as a training facility for the local volunteer Defence Corps.
The building fell into disrepair in the intervening years, but was restored by Broken Hill City Council in 1988 and continues to be used as a venue for community events. It is the home of the historical Burke Ward Memorial Organ, installed in the early twentieth century.
Audio transcript available.