44. Sacred Heart College - 1927

Sacred Heart College.png

Marist Brothers College for boys opened in this building in 1927. The ceremonial opening was reported on by Adelaide’s Southern Cross newspaper on July 1st 1927, as ‘a new era in the educational history of the catholic people of Broken Hill.’ 

At the opening ceremony, attended by the Mayor and a ‘large crowd’ including number of investors in the school, the Bishop of Wilcannia Forbes, Dr. Hayden, laid and blessed the foundation stone. A financial statement was read by Rev. Father Brennan, thanking those who had already invested in the school and encouraging further investment. And, as the Herald also reported: ‘The large crowd which attended soon showed that the function was also going to be a financial success.’ 

In 1973, Marist Brothers and nearby St Josephs school combined to form St Josephs High School. When Marist Brothers left Broken Hill in 1987 the school was renamed Sacred Heart College. It is now a primary school only. 

Audio transcript available.