28. Joe Keenan Lookout

Joe Keenan Lookout.png

From this lookout, an excellent panoramic view of Broken Hill and the line of lode is visible. 

The Lookout was named in honour of Peter Joseph Keenan, President of the Barrier Industrial Council from 1969 to 1985, and city Alderman from 1953 to 1962.  

Adjacent to the Lookout is the Mica Street filtration plant. The stone reservoir is original, built in 1894 to hold water pumped from the Stephens Creek Reservoir. Stephen’s Creek received water from the Darling River until Broken Hill was connected by pipeline to Wentworth in 2018. The city’s water is now pumped from the Murray River.   

Audio transcript available.