Wharf Street, Wentworth 2648
The Wentworth Wharf was originally built in 1879 using local timber and was a major landmark of the town - a hive of industry. Boats, large and small were to become a 'way of life' in the town on the junction of the Darling and Murray Rivers. Throughout the riverboat era, Wentworth was the busiest inland port within New South Wales (the third busiest port after Sydney and Newcastle). During one week 31 steamers were docked at the wharf, with planks joining steamer to steamer.
The original wharf deteriorated and was demolished in 1983. A replica was built (including the little customs office) and now stands in its place, a great tribute to the once-bustling river trade era.
Wharf Street ,