In This Section
This hotel was built in iron and timber in 1888 and originally known as the Great Western Hotel. Originally built as a boarding house for miners, the building was later redesigned as a hotel by architect Edward Gell, and rebuilt in stone and brick.
In 1893 Licencee James Mathers was charged with selling liquor on a Sunday. He was fined three pounds-apparently he was just one publican charged with this offence that year.
The de-licenced hotel is now in private hands.
Audio transcript available.