In This Section
The Broken Hill South Silver Mining Co. was formed in 1884 to work Blocks 7 and 8 on the Line of Lode. It became one of the largest and most productive lead and silver mines after Broken Hill South Ltd was formed in 1918. The mine produced 20 million tonnes of ore between 1884 and 1972.
These elegant red brick offices were erected on the mine lease in about 1910. The building was designed by architects James and William T. Morrow.
In the background is the South Mine concentration mill, erected in 1928.
Broken Hill South folded in 1972 and closed the South Mine. MMM purchased all of Broken Hill South’s leases and re-opened the mine in 1972. Underground operations ceased in 1976.
The lease is now held by Consolidated Broken Hill (CBH).
Audio transcript available.