In This Section
This stone building with brick ‘quoins’ or corner angles, was erected c1890 by BHP.
This was the first assay office in the region, and prior to its establishment it was necessary to travel to Adelaide to have minerals analysed for ore content.
The Assay Office was built for BHPs Central Mine and remained in use until the Central Mine ceased mining operations in 1940.
The building is now owned by Consolidated Broken Hill Ltd (CBH).
Audio transcript available.