45. The Towers - c1890
This stone residence, the Towers, still retains the name of the hospital that once occupied the building. The Towers was built around 1890 and was a private hospital, otherwise known as Nurse Robertson’s hospital. It sits, castle-like, up a hill above Sturt Park.
Built around 1890 the building also has castle-like architectural features, or castellations. It operated as the Towers Hospital of Nurse Robertson from 1890 to 1909, before the government hospital was built in 1889.
The building is intact, and all its original features are preserved, as can be seen from the earlier photograph.
Audio transcript available.