37. Mulga Hill Hotel - 1890
An iron and timber hotel was originally built on this site in 1888. William Claringbold was the first licensee. The hotel was rebuilt in brick and stone in 1890 and has since been significantly modernised. The current tiled roof would have once been corrugated iron.
The Mulga Hill Hotel was named after a nearby hill that was excavated for the extension of the tramway line in 1903. The extension ran west along Oxide Street to Thomas Street, Chappel Street and Kaolin Street. Tramway line extensions continued until 1919.
Audio transcript available.