In This Section
This Federation style red brick residence was built for the officer-in-charge of the Government-operated Street tramway system in Broken Hill.
The tramway system commenced in 1902 and stopped operating in 1926, when there were increasing numbers of motorists and vehicles in the town.
At its peak in the early 1900s, the tramway had a staff of 60 with 14 engines and 36 carriages operating at half-hourly intervals. Nearby was, originally, a large shed for the engines and carriages.
Audio transcript available.